This is my website for the genealogy of the village of Kukkus, Samara, Russia.
Kukkus was first settled on 26 Jun 1767 by a group of approximately
181 settlers from Germany. Kukkus is located at map coordinates 51.0872 N, 45.9497 E. Other names for Kukkus are Neubrabant, Neu-Brabant, Volskaya, Volskoye, Wolskoje and Privolzhskoye as it is known today.
This database attempts to follow the genealogy of those original settlers along with those who came later. Through census records, surname charts, records available from the AHSGR and from other resources I have attempted to reconstruct the family lines of those settlers down to the present day. Of course, this is a work in progress and I have a very long way to go. But the process is started. Enter a name in the search box or click the 'surnames' button to just browse. By clicking the "Search" button above you can browse the database. Or you can enter a name and search for someone specific.
Anyone with an interest in Kukkus can click on the Albums button to browse photo albums of Kukkus pictures and view letters sent by Kukkus residents.
This database is put together with information from the following sources:
- Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" Dr. Igor Pleve.
- Einwanderung in Das Wolgagebeit by Dr. Igor Pleve.
- 1798 Census of Kukkus Russia.
- 1834 Census of Kukkus Russia.
- 1850 Census of Kukkus Russia.
- 1857 Census of Kukkus Russia.
- Various Surname charts compiled by Dr. Igor Pleve including the following surnames; Baum, Busick, Debus, Felsing, Heinrich, Hergenroeder, Johannes, Krumm, Maser, Reitz, Reifschneider and Weigandt.
- Extensive genealogies compiled by researchers such as Frank Schlegel, Gene Lehman, Derek Sturges, Kathy Brehm LaPella and others.
- Information obtained from the American Historical Society of Germans from Russia (AHSGR)
- Various family records.
- Many other sources as listed under Sources.
I have tried to use a simplified common sense approach to names. Many of the records used were originally written in Russian by Russians who were gathering information from a German speaking population. The errors caused by misunderstanding, language changes over many years and translation difficulties have produced many errors and many variations of surnames. I am trying to use what I believe is a proper German spelling of the names involved even if the record in question has the name spelled differently. For the reason of consistency I am spelling names today perhaps differently from the way they were spelled a few hundred years ago.
There are many possible duplicated names. The German people used a small pool of names in naming their children, resulting in many people having the same name. This of course creates great confusion. I will merge two people into one record only when I am certain that both records refer to the same person. In many cases I am not certain and therefore duplication exists. Having said that I am certain that I have made mistakes. An email to me pointing out any mistakes will be greatly appreciated.
If you want more information on Kukkus or on any of the other Volga German Settlements visit both the American
Historical Society of Germans from Russia Website and the Center for Volga German Studies Website which have links
included below. In addition to a voluminous amount of on-line information available, you can also order not only much of
the same reference materials I have used to prepare this website but numerous other materials covering the entire gamut
of Volga German studies. A partial list of materials and where to order follows:
- 1767 Lists of Colonists to Russia in 1766 "Reports by Ivan Kulberg" by Igor Pleve AHSGR
- 1767 First Settler List: Einwanderung in Das Wolgagebiet, v.2 by Igor Pleve AHSGR
- 1798 Kukkus Census: AHSGR
- 1834 Kukkus Census: Brent Mai firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1850 Kukkus Census: Brent Mai email@example.com
- 1857 Kukkus Census: Beth Mueller-Rohn Davenport firstname.lastname@example.org
- Various Surname Charts: See AHSGR for details.
If you are interested in a login id and password to be able to use the full functionality of this database, please use the contact us button on this page letting us know who you are and your interest in this genealogy. Everyone who has an interest is welcome.
AHSGR MEMBERS-ONLY AREA
In cooperation with Eleanor Sissell, the Kukkus Village Coordinator at the AHSGR we have a selection of content from the Kukkus Village Inventory which is available for viewing by AHSGR members only. If you are a member, follow the links to request a User ID and password. If you are not a member, click on the AHSGR link below and consider becoming one.
If you have names of Kukkus inhabitants or their descendants who do not appear in this database and you would like to see them included, please click on the 'contact us' link below to send us your information. The new information will be promptly added to the database. If you have additional information or corrected information on people who are already in the database, please contact us with the additional or the corrected information.